The public perception of cannabis has transformed over the last few years, and it is becoming more and more mainstream at an ever-increasing pace. This can be directly attributed to the legalization across North America, where several states have legalized cannabis in some capacity, and Canada (of course), which legalized it for adult use last year.
This newfound acceptance of cannabis has led to a veritable boom in ways to consume and purchase cannabis. From hand-rolled joints and bongs to vaporizers and oils, there are more ways to consume your strain of choice than ever before. One way that is becoming increasingly popular is edibles, which allows you to consume cannabis without the potentially harmful effects from smoking [*]. Learn how to make your own edible cannabis cookie dough in the recipe below.
Cookies are a staple sweet food, and cookie dough is often a fan favourite. This is a quick and easy recipe for simple dosing. Here's what you'll need:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips
- Cannabis (obviously) around 3.5 grams
- Large baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Food processor or electric mixer
- Herb grinder
- Wooden spoon
- Cheese cloth
- Wooden spoon
- Two large pots
Preparation: Cannabis butter
Before you do anything else, you need to mix up a batch of cannabis butter. You can’t just tip your cannabis into the cookie mix and expect it to do anything other than ruin the texture. Cannabis is traditionally smoked because heat helps to transform non-intoxicating THCA into the medically useful THC [*]. In order to turn THCA into THC when cooking, you must first decarboxylate your herb [*]. Here's how:
- Preheat your oven to 240 degrees F (115 degrees C).
- Break your cannabis leaf down into manageable pieces and place them onto your baking tray. Space these pieces out evenly, and don’t stack them on top of one another.
- Place the tray into your oven for 30-40 minutes. Keep an eye on your cannabis until it begins to turn to a golden-brown colour.
- Take the tray out of the oven, and allow the cannabis to cool.
- When your cannabis has fully cooled, place it into a food processor and pulse it for a second so you’re left with a coarse grind.
Now, the next thing you need to do is infuse your cannabis into butter in order to create cannabis butter, which is essential for your cookie dough. Here's how:
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and add around 1000 ml of water. Bring it to a boil and add your sticks of butter until they completely melt.
- Add your cannabis and reduce the heat until you have an even simmer. Make sure the cannabis is not in contact with the bottom of the pan.
- Leave this on the heat for about three hours until the solution begins to thicken.
- Take the mixture and place it in a bowl lined with cheesecloth. Using the cheesecloth, squeeze the liquid butter.
- Leave the butter mixture to cool for around an hour, and then place it into a fridge until it cools into a spreadable texture.
How to make edible cookie dough
- Start by mixing your butter, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla until it is well-combined. To help with this, allow your butter to soften at room temperature for around an hour.
- Next, mix in about 1 tablespoon of milk. Gradually add the flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a dough-like texture.
- Finally, mix in your chocolate chips.